Everyone seems to dip strawberries in chocolate fondues these days but it’s much more fun to hide the fresh strawberry inside the chocolate itself. All you need is good quality dark chocolate, fresh strawberries and an ice-cube tray or chocolate mould. I happen to have a silicone mould for heart shaped ice which works rather well.
1. Remove green leaves from the strawberries and leave whole or cut to size depending in the tray you need to fit them in.
2. Melt your dark, high cocoa chocolate over a pan of hot water. (I used 180g for my chocs).
3. When the chocolate has become liquid pour 1/3 into your mould, add strawberries and cover over with more chocolate using a spatula.
4. Carefully place the mould in the fridge or if like me you cannot wait that long, whack them in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
5. Remove when set, and enjoy. The only problem is that everyone eats them so fast you have to make another tray almost immediately so make a few at a time. Mmm, the surprise of finding soft, fresh fruit within the crunch of dark chocolate lifts that strawberry flavour to new heights.
“Strawberries are the angels of the earth, innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward”
– but so much better still, encased in chocolate.